Luscious Strawberry Shortcake with golden flakey biscuits, jammy strawberry sauce, and yogurt whip cream. The perfect American dessert with a twist. This elevated version of the classic is subtly sweet and deeply satisfying.
Resilience doesn’t mean bouncing back to normal, it means being transformed to a new normal. ~Ellen Odonnell
With just a slight twist on the classic, juicy delectable Strawberry Shortcake has all the makings of the perfect summer dessert. Flakey biscuits with crisp edges have a hint of lemon and subtle sweetness. Lemon thyme adds an herby freshness that is a complement to the buttery richness.
The strawberries are jammy and vibrant with just enough sweetener to accent the berries. The whip cream topping is folded with greek yogurt giving a perfect balance of tang and creaminess. All together the flavors and textures are elevated to a euphoric level.
Making The Shortcake Biscuits
- Start with cold ingredients.
- Cut butter into flour mixture of baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- Lightly incorporate cream and greek yogurt.
- Fold dough four times and cut into squares. Brush with egg wash and Sprinkle with sliced almond and sugar.
- Freeze 10 minutes.
- Bake in a hot oven.
Keeping all ingredients cold is key for tender fluffy biscuits. Work the butter into the flour using your hands or a pastry cutter, leaving some chunks.
Mix together cream and yogurt. Pour into the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
Turn the shaggy dough out onto the counter. Fold over on itself and press out flat into a rough square.
Repeat this process 4 times or until the dough is fairly smooth.
Shape into 6×6 square. (Or 7 x 5). Trim off edges with a sharp knife this allows the biscuits to puff up evenly.
Brush the top the shortcake biscuits with egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar and sliced almonds. Lightly pressing almonds into the dough. Place pan in the freezer for 10 minutes before putting in the oven.
How to make an egg wash and why
- Mix an egg yolk with 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- This will give the biscuit a lovely golden crust and help the almonds and sugar stick.
Fresh Strawberry Sauce
- Place half of the strawberries and sugar in a saucepan.
- Bring to a low simmer until they just begin to break down.
- Mix lemon juice and cornstarch. Whisk into strawberries and let it come up to a bubble.
- Remove from heat. Cool. Mix in the other half of the strawberries.
This is the best of both worlds, jammy and vibrantly fresh with just the right amount of sauciness to soak into the biscuit. A little lemon juice compliments, bringing out more amazing strawberry goodness. Half of the berries are simmered for about 10 minutes to create a gorgeous sauce.
This is really good especially when the strawberries may be on the not quite completely ripe side. Fresh sliced berries are added in just before serving. It gives such a lovely depth. You won’t be disappointed!
If you are so lucky to get completely ripe, fresh-picked strawberries, you can totally just chop them up fresh and skip the cooking part, adding a bit of sugar, if you desire.
Easy Tangy Yogurt-Whip Cream Topping
- Whip heavy cream with vanilla and sugar.
- Gently fold in greek yogurt.
One of my favorite combos is fresh whip cream and greek yogurt. The yogurt gives some stability to the cream and elevates the flavor immensely, giving the perfect tang and brightness. Also with the added benefit of protein and probiotics!
Fold the yogurt into the whipped cream. This can be done a few hours ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator.
How to Assemble Strawberry Shortcake
- Slice biscuit in half.
- Spoon strawberries on the bottom half.
- Layer with lots of yogurt whip cream!
- Top with biscuit top.
- Serve immediately!
More strawberry recipes you may like:
You totally deserve this treat! So divinely delicious. Let us know what you think!
Luscious strawberry shortcake with flakey biscuits, jammy strawberry sauce and yogurt whip cream. The perfect American dessert.
- 2 cups all purpose flour, 250 grams
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar + more for sprinkling
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- zest of a lemon
- 8 tablespoons, 1 stick, (4 ounces) of cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1–2 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme (totally optional but so good!)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I prefer full fat)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk (optional, for egg wash)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, quartered or sliced
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Yogurt-Whip Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1–2 tablespoons of sugar
Turn oven on to 400 degrees.
Make the Shortcake Biscuits
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Stir in lemon zest and lemon thyme.
- Add cold butter chunks mixing in with your hands, forks or pastry cutter until they are coarsely mashed up.
- Mix together yogurt and cream. Add into the flour mixture carefully mixing until just incorporated.
- Turn contents out onto the counter. It is ok if there are still dry parts. Press the dough roughly out in a square, about a 1/2 inch thick. Fold over on itself and press out into a square again. Repeat this process 4 times.
- Shape into a square with your hands, about 6 x 6 and close to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 6 pieces. Brush with egg wash (see notes) sprinkle with sliced almonds and sugar.
- Freeze 10 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in your preheated oven.
Make the Strawberry Sauce
- Place 1 1/2 cups of the sliced strawberries in a saucepan with sugar. Cook about 7-10 minutes until just beginning to break down.
- Mix lemon juice and cornstarch until completely smooth. Add to the cooking berries. Bring just to a light boil, and remove from heat. Allow to cool.
- Add remaining fresh sliced strawberries into the cooked jam.
Make the Yogurt Whip Cream Topping
To make an egg wash; mix an egg yolk with 1-2 tablespoons of water. This will give the biscuit a lovely golden crust and help the almonds and sugar stick.
Keywords: strawberry shortcake, homemade strawberry shortcake, strawberry short cake recipe, strawberry recipes, shortcake recipes, strawberry shortcake recipe from scratch